Friday, September 10, 2010

SCOOP: WHY BEKIMON'S SKIN IS GLOWINGLY WHITE



People admire Youtube sensation Bekimon (Bern Josep Persia in real life) for his glowing white skin. For someone like me who once megadosed on Glutathione and Vitamin C to achieve a fairer complexion, Bekimon's striking white skin is a reason of envy.

But what many didn't know is Bekimon was once brown-skinned, just like many of us. His life changed when he entered puberty and suffered from vitiligo, a skin disease prominently associated with the King of Pop Michael Jackson. Growing up with many spot-like discolorations gave Bekimon a tough childhood. He was discriminated by his classmates-- straights and bekis-- and was named names including "aswang" and "dalmatian" among many.

It was only when he went to college at the Centro Escolar University (CEU) when vilitigo has fully covered the rest of his skin, leaving him with an evenly fair complexion.

"I told myself: 'Lord, if you want me to be white then let be it...' I embraced vitiligo in my life and fortunately I now have an even color..." says Bekimon.

I am proud of Bekimon for overcoming the most dangerous effect of vitiligo-- the death of one's confidence and self-belief. Despite all the hardships he faced in life, Bekimon stands tall in front of all of us, providing us with a regular dose of laughter.

Michael Jackson before and after vitiligo. 
Prince Michael Jackson, the son of the legendary pop star, is said to be suffering from vitiligo too.

No comments:

Post a Comment